West Nidaros WELCA 2013 Purpose Statement:
As a community of women created in the image of God, called to discipleship in Jesus Christ and empowered by the Holy Spirit we commit ourselves to grow in faith; affirm our gifts; support one another in calling; engage in ministry and action; promote healing and wholeness in the church, society, and the world; share Christ’s love with all.
Come join us and learn about all the mission work our group carries out.
Learn more about WELCA here: We are WELCA.
West Nidaros WELCA Officers for 2017
- President: Margaret Tidemann: 543-5249
- Secretary: Esther Boadwine: 529-5577
- Treasurer: Betty Anderson : 529-5637
- Mission Growth: Joan Eitreihm: 543-5323
- Mission Action: Jan Anderson : 529-5387
- Mission Community: OPEN
- Church Council Rep: OPEN
West Nidaros WELCA Stewardship Projects:
Baby Care Kits
In refugee camps, hospitals, and villages around the world, gifts of Lutheran World Relief baby care kits convey a warm welcome to newborns and their mothers.
The following items are included in the baby care kit:
- Two lightweight cotton t-shirts
- Two long or short sleeved gowns or sleepers (without feet)
- Two receiving blankets-up to 52” square
- Four cloth diapers
- One jacket ,sweater or sweatshirt with a hood or include a baby cap
- Two pairs of socks
- One hand towel, dark color recommended
- Two bath sized bars gentle soap in original wrapping
- Two diaper pins or large safety pins
Gently used and clean items may be substituted for new ones. Wrap items in one of the receiving blankets and secure with yarn.
The first two Tuesday mornings of most months, quilts are tied in the church basement dining room. Watch the church calendar and bulletins for dates and times. You do not need to know how to quilt or sew to join in the fun and fellowship. If you can tie a knot— you can help! These warm quilts are sent to Lutheran World Relief to be distributed all over the world. Some are also given to Horse Creek residents, to the Children’s Inn, and to other needs in the community. Please join us for this worthwhile ministry event each month.
Fabric kits supply vocational training programs for teaching sewing.
The following items are included in each fabric kit:
- Two pieces of cotton or cotton blend fabric (no knits or 100% polyester) cut into pieces measuring
- 2 1/4 Yards 60” wide fabric or
- 3 yards of 44” wide fabric or
- 4 yards of 36” wide fabric
- Two spools of matching general purpose thread, 250-300 yards each
Fold thread and one piece of fabric inside the second piece and tie with yarn.
A Lutheran World Relief school kit may provide the only supplies for children returning to school after the disruption of war. School kits contain essential supplies to help children and adults continue learning despite hardships.
The following items are included in the school kit:
- Four 70 sheet notebooks wide or college ruled
- One 30 centimeter ruler or a rule with centimeters on one side and inches on the other
- One pencil sharpener
- One blunt scissors (safety scissors with embedded steel blades work well)
- Five unsharpened #2 pencils with erasers; secure together with rubber band
- Five ballpoint pens (no gel ink); secure together with rubber band
- One box of 16 or 24 crayons
- One 2 1/2” eraser
- One drawstring backpack style bag 14” x 17”
All items should be new. Remove any excess packaging and pack items in bag, fold the handles over, and tie with yarn. Do not enclose the kit or any of its contents in plastic bags.
Personal Care Kits
People who must flee their homes quickly often do not have time to pack essential items. The items in a personal care kit allows them to wash the dirt away.
Personal Care Kits include the following:
- One bath size towel (52” x 27”)
- Two bath size bars of soap, any brand, in original wrapping. 4 to 5 ounce bars are highly preferred
- One adult size toothbrush in original packaging (multipacks may be individually sealed in a business size envelope).
- One sturdy comb, remove from packaging
- One metal nail clippers, remove packaging
All items should be new and in good condition. Wrap all the items in the towel and secure with ribbons or yarn.
Labels for Education/ Box Tops for Education/Cancelled postage Stamps
There are boxes for UPC codes and cancelled stamps on the table at the foot of the stairs when you get off the elevator in the basement.
The Box Tops for Education go to area schools to purchase equipment.
The Labels for Education go to Navajo Evangelical Lutheran Mission in Rock Point, AZ to purchase vehicles and educational equipment.
Save the cancelled stamps from the letters you have received leaving 1/3” of paper around all sides.
Women’s Circle Meetings/Bible Study
All women are invited to attend the Circle Meetings/Bible Study.
Generally we meet on the 4th Wednesday of the month. The bible studies are taken from the “Gather” magazine (formerly Lutheran Woman Today ). Watch the bulletin and newsletter for place and time of the bible studies. Winter months we will be meeting in the afternoon, the rest of the year in the evening. Coordinator Lynette Kautz 529-6800 or 221-1916
Secret Sister Ministry
The secret sister ministry is a project started several years ago. At the start of the year, each participant is secretly assigned a “sister”. Throughout the year small remembrances are sent. We are also asked to keep our “sister” in our prayers. At Christmas we have a gift exchange and reveal our secret sister names. There is a box at church if you do not wish to mail the cards and gifts. All are welcome to join us in this ministry. Contact Jolene Wehde 543-5679 for more information.